Do I HAVE to partition HDD's?

y_not 19:32 23 Sep 2003

I recently bought two 80Gb HDD's (then found from Consumer-watch that I could have got them a lot cheaper!)

I currently have two 60Gb's in the system and, when I fitted them I had serious problems with them until I partitioned them. Seemed that if I limited partition size to less than 40Gb they work fine; more than that and they become unstable (sometimes recognised sometimes not).

Is this a limit of the mainboard or something else I'm doing wrong?

I flashed the BIOS a few days ago but couldn't see any fix for HDD size in the upgrade.

powerless 19:34 23 Sep 2003

You using Win 98?

y_not 19:35 23 Sep 2003

Sorry - win2k & NTFS

TBH1 20:12 23 Sep 2003

if there are size restrictions with your system, I would guess its way above the 80gb yo have - - -and no, you don't have to partition.

y_not 21:02 23 Sep 2003

The 60Gb HDD's are IBM's - the new ones are WD

Could the instability be caused by the IBM's?

plankton 21:03 23 Sep 2003

What disks did u buy? Can you download software from the manufacturers site to aid with the install?

TBH1, before you ask, yes.

plankton 21:05 23 Sep 2003

Spooky....download the installation software from WD, that should make sure its a piece of cake.

y_not 21:12 23 Sep 2003

Thanks for that. I'll download the WD software and give it a try......just waiting for a wet weekend to find the time to do it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?