Do I have to keep putting program discs in?

clueless4768 20:18 15 Dec 2003

Quick one - Can I fully install a program onto my machine so I dont have to keep putting the program disc in to run it after I click the prog. icon?

rickf 20:20 15 Dec 2003

Some programs give you that option, others don't. One which does is MS Encarta. The reason is to sace you sapce on your h/d which is not a bad idea.

rickf 20:20 15 Dec 2003

should read " save" and "space."

clucker 20:32 15 Dec 2003

Games are a good example of having to use the disc more often than not, simply due to the size of some of them

Chegs ® 22:14 15 Dec 2003

There are several apps available to allow this,one I tried was Virtual-CD,some games worked,most didn't as they needed "reinstalled" due to bits broke(corrupted/missing,etc)or everytime I tried to continue from previous saved point,it would decide I hadn't ever played it before,requiring hours of additional gameplay to return to where I had already been.

Tim1964 22:20 15 Dec 2003

I guess it's to gaurd against piracy too, it proves you have the game disc in your possesion.

Mike ® 22:26 15 Dec 2003

Daemon Tools will give you virtual drives on which you can mount images of most cd's, and install from there. click here I don't feel I can discuss the matter any further here.

Mike ® 22:51 15 Dec 2003

Excellent program click here

tbh72 01:19 16 Dec 2003

CD-Cache is a great little shareware program, it work's by specifying a certain portion of HDD space as a cache. It works great with "reference" type CDS, eg encarta, ICD Infodisk etc.... Not sure how it would work with games though.

Lead 11:10 16 Dec 2003

I know of a few sites where you can download files that will replace the 'desktop shortcut' for a game/application so you do not need the CD in the drive to run it.

There are several advantages in doing this. I don't have to be continually hunting for discs in order to have a quick 5 minutes of gameplay (my game collection is extensive and on a very high shelf). It also means I reduce the risk of damage to an expensive CD/DVD.

However, it also means that people can download games/apps illegally and use them. As it is this that people will latch onto, I will not post the url of the sites I use to get these patches. But Google will be able to help you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?