Do I actually need XP SP3?

Halmer 11:45 06 Nov 2008

I have a HP Compaq PC with XP SP2 in stalled. There are no automatic updates outstanding.

It has an Athlon Processor so I am aware that there is an issue with this and XP3 (the loop thing).

HP have advised me to download their fix but for some reason it won't install so they have advised me to go ahead and download SP3. They advise me that some files on my PC may be corrupted somehow.

I am hesitant to do this because it is vital that my PC is working at the moment.

Given that SP3 isn't coming up as an update can I just leave it or am I compromising security in some way. I just can't understand why I am not being offered SP3 as an update when I haven't got it.

john bunyan 11:53 06 Nov 2008

Halmer. I would : 1. do a restore point.2. Download SP3 from developers site - dont yet install. (see other threads) 3. unplug from internet. 4 turn off anti spam, firewall and anti malware. 5. Install SP3 - may take some time. 6.Reboot, fire up firewall, anti spam and anti malware. 7. reconnect to internet and check for MS updates.If all fails you can activate restore point. I think most people think that it is worth the effort to keep XP up to date with fixes.

canarieslover 11:56 06 Nov 2008

Given that your PC is so vital to you at the moment, then don't install SP3. Make sure all your security programs are up to date and use them regularly and all should be well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone