DNS/IP Address detection

Fiddo 19:31 20 May 2003

Hi Guys,

I need to setup my e-mail account unto Outlook express but I need to know the DNS/IP Address.

Is there a way apart from asking my ISP to give me the DNS/IP address, I can detect it on the website or webpage?

I used the trecert command to detect the incoming mail (POP3 aspect but I could not get the outgoing mail (SMPT) address.

Can any one help me?

With best wishes,

Fiddo

fitshase 19:35 20 May 2003

What ISP/mail provider are you with (i.e., the bit after the @ in your e-mail address)?

I have never known Outlook Express to require a DNS/IP address.

If you have the POP3 bit (normally pop3.<serviceprovider>.co.uk) then substitute SMTP for POP3:-

e.g., if your e-mail is from blueyonder:-

POP3.blueyonder.co.uk

SMTP.blueyonder.co.uk

These are the norm and will usually be on the website of your mail provider.

Regards

Fitshase

anchor 19:43 20 May 2003

I agree with Fiddo. I have set-up quite a number of PC`s with both Outlook and Outlook Express, and never had to know the DNS/IP address of the ISP.

If you tell us what ISP you are using, I am sure that someone will be able to give you the precise settings for you to enter, (if you can`t find them on your ISP`s web site).

anchor 19:44 20 May 2003

I meant to say that I agree with Fitshase.

Murray 20:08 20 May 2003

I'm sure no ISP could exist if it required any user wishing to set up POP3/SMTP to know about the likes of tracert, any self respecting ISP should have all such info on its website...

fitshase 02:19 23 May 2003

-----------------------------------------------

Thank you Fitshase, for your advice. I had contacted the ISP but they said they don't offer such services now and that I have to continue to log on through the net.

By the way I will try your suggestions and other suggestions offered by others.

By the way the ISP uses SqWebmail, do you know anything about them?

------------------------------------------------

Fiddo, if you can post the reply to the forum then everyone else can see and maybe offer another solution.

I will have a look for SqWebmail and come back. Who is your ISP?

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?