DLL Hell

daba 00:28 31 Mar 2006

One of my apps reports:-

- Entry Point Not Found : the procedure ThunkConnect32 could not be found in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

Question 1 : I've run DLL Checker, and the KERNEL32.dll I have in WINDOWS\System is not the latest. In fact it looks as if this older version was installed by Windows 2000 SP4. The application was installed after SP4.

I could try renaming it and copying the later DLL into the windows directory, but the file is in use by windows and it wont let me. Catch22 or is there a way to update an "in-use" system file.

Question 2 : DLL checker reveals I have a large amount of duplicated DLLs in :-

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\ 214 Mb

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ 174 Mb

Since I have just upgraded to W2K, and run SP4, and run the large Windows Update, are these folders safe to empty or delete ?

Any help would be appreciated.

beeuuem 00:38 31 Mar 2006

Does this click here help?

daba 00:51 31 Mar 2006

Yes I have nVidia, and this could be the problem, as the app. I mentioned is a DVB card (Digital Telly).

I'll get straight on to this in the morning...

cheers

daba 00:55 03 Apr 2006

beeuuem, Well I got straight on to it today (Sunday), I decided a round of golf was a better alternative yesterday.

Anyway, nVidia driver update cured the problem, thanks for the suggestion, I thought I was pretty much up-to-date.

Does anyone know if I need to keep these "ServicePackFiles" and "SoftwareDistribution\Download" space-hoggers ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?