.dll files

Dick2 09:35 06 Dec 2006

How do I find .dll files ? The normal "Find" command does not work.
Thanks,
Dick2

rawprawn 09:44 06 Dec 2006

They are in the registry, what do you want them for? they are direct library links and an awful lot of them.

Simsy 09:52 06 Dec 2006

system files hidden.

System files are hidden, by default, for good reason. Tampering with them can cause applications to not function properly, or not start at all... and that includes Windows itself.

What is it that you are trying to achieve?

Regards,

Simsy

Dick2 09:27 07 Dec 2006

Thanks for your replies.
I received messages saying "C drive too full; delete some folders" - so, I deleted some unused programs including components of Lotus Smartsuite (I only use Wordpro). When I then tried to use Wordpro (WP) I received repeated instructions "cannot find Itdlgn03.dll". After 30 mins of searching Norton Ghost backups, I found it and copied it to the WP.exe folder, it came up with another missing .dll file!
This has happened 9 times !
WP is now "half" working.
As I shall be away, I am waiting until February before getting a new up to date machine.
Thanks again for your comments.
Dick2

Batch 09:32 07 Dec 2006

Your postings give the impression that you deleted the unused programs rather than uninstalled. If this is the case, it is difficult to tell exactly damage may have been caused.

rawprawn 09:46 07 Dec 2006

Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD
That should put system files back in order.Although you may have to reinstall some of the programs you deleted and then Uninstall using add or remove programs to solve all your problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?