DLL file MSVCR.DCL missing

JF25 12:26 05 Oct 2006

I was removing some programmes from a friends computer prior to disposing of the computer. At one point I was advised to restart the computer but on restarting it got through the start up proceedure thenthere was a message that it would be necessary to reinstall windows as DLLfile MSVCR.DCL could not be found. At this point I had to click yes and when I did so the computer froze so I was unable to reinstall the wndows 98 2nd Ed. disk norboot from a rescue floppy disk.
I treid to get the computer to restart by pressing Ctrl,Alt&Del a couple of times but it just restarts and gets to the same position as before.
There are some things I would like to recover so would appreciate any advice on how to proceed further
Thanks
John Fraser

SANTOS7 12:37 05 Oct 2006

MSVCR.DCL Does not exist to establish exactly whats gone wrong you need to post the exact error message
click here

the link is as close as i can get, it maybe the answer to your problem..

VoG II 12:41 05 Oct 2006

Or maybe click here - in any case we certainly need the correct filename.

Wak 12:44 05 Oct 2006

Hi, there are some different files to be found here click here
Check which is the correct one and then download it. It needs to go in C:\Windows\System.
I have Win 98SE and it does not list a file called MSVCR.DCL or .DLL.
Hope this helps.

fazer 12:47 05 Oct 2006

JF25 - do you mean msvcrt ?

If so try this click here

JF25 22:46 05 Oct 2006

After going through most of boot up it stops and a message appears " Error Loading Explorer exe
You must reinstall Windows OK" when ok is clicked message appears "A required.DDLfile.MSVCRT.DLLwas not found OK" At this point the computer freezes and does not answer the OK button. When Crtl,AltandDel is keyed a message saying Msqsiv32 Not responding.
Impossible to stop computer other than switching off powerb Ctrl,Alt& delete restart computer again and does not shut down.
I thank those who answered my help request and ask if this further explanation is of any help
Thank you
John Fraser

skidzy 23:07 05 Oct 2006

Try booting into safemode first,once this has loaded try a restart.
Tapping F8 on startup gets you to safe mode.

Or

Try Disabling power management
start/settings/control panel/double click power
in power manegment box click off/or allow windows to manage power
click ok restart the computer.

If it keeps doing this go device mgr.click on system devices to expand
double click power management support
on settings tab click enable power management support check box to clear it and click ok restart computer when prompted. if this does not solve it post back

Wak 09:39 06 Oct 2006

Hi, I have Win 98SE and can send you the file MSVCRT.DLL if you wish to contact me via the little yellow envelope. It's only 285KB and will fit on a floppy so you could go to the A:\ prompt and enter A:\ copy MSVCRT.DLL a: c:\Windows\System.
If that file is replaced then it will be one more rung up the ladder.
Hope this helps.

JF25 13:21 06 Oct 2006

Wak
Thank you for your offer, unfortunately I cannot get the computer past the wallpaper stage ie there are no Icons or bottom line, start.etc
so I do not know how to get into the A disk to replace the DLL file.
Thanks

anchor 15:39 06 Oct 2006

If accessing safe mode you should get to the wallpaper stage, (as you call it).

It appears that you have another computer available, (you are posting here), so should be able to receive the file kindly offered by Wak.

Copy this to a floppy on the working computer.

The start the problem machine in safe mode. Here are the instruction how to do it:

click here

When in safe mode, follow Wak`s instructions.

Wak 15:55 06 Oct 2006

If you haven't already made a boot disk you can download one from here click here which I would have thought will boot to the Dos Prompt if the main drive isn't working then you could insert another floppy and copy the required file across.
Just a thought!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?