dlink wireless router question

  learneveryday 16:50 17 Feb 2006

I have a wired connection between my desktop and my laptop (just a crossover cable) and I am accessing the internet through a dialup modem in my desktop, these computers are in two separate buildings. since I wont be using the wan port can I put the wireless router in the same building as the laptop (it has built-in wireless access) and connect it to the cable coming fromthe ethernet card in my desktop in the other building and make it work like a wireless access point. I have never had experince with either a router or a wap so be gentle with me. the reason I want to use a router is I have a d-link di524 router and who knows maybe someday broadband will be available here thank you

  ade.h 18:09 17 Feb 2006

If ADSL ever comes your way, the router would have to be changed for a modem/router. If you are thinking of a cable service, then that will use seperate units.

For now, you can do what you intend, though I cannot guarantee anything vis a vis sharing of the dial-up connection. I assume that you currently share it and would like to continue to do so.

  mgmcc 23:25 17 Feb 2006

You can use a Wireless Router as a basic "Wireless Access Point", but if you are using Internet Connection Sharing with the PC that has the dialup connection, you will have to disable the router's DHCP server. With ICS, the host PC is automatically configured with the IP address and it is enabled as a DHCP server to allocate IP addresses to "client" PCs. If the router were to allocate IP addresses, as is its normal function, you would have the conflict of two DHCP servers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?