DIY v. professional services

Robert-272781 11:50 30 Jul 2006

Can anyone help?

My squash club would like a simple website that contains about 6 sections and allows new squash leagues to be downloaded approx. every 8 weeks. It would also be nice to have space to display some pictures.

Is this an easy DIY job (I have no experience yet) or is the professional quote of £750 that we have good value?

If we went the DIY route we could use someone like Pipex who provide pages but don't say if they allow files to be downloaded. Would we need to have it hosted instead of using templates?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Forum Editor 12:25 30 Jul 2006

"....allows new squash leagues to be downloaded approx. every 8 weeks" Do you mean that members can download files from the site, or do you really mean that new tables will be uploaded?

I ask, because it makes a big difference. If files are going to be put on the server for download nothing could be easier, but if files have to be uloaded by members it gets a whole lot more complicated. I am in the process of designing a site for a tennis league, and in that case they want to be able to allow club officials to enter league match results on a weekly basis. This involves a good deal more work on my part, and is consequently more expensive from a design point of view.

If you simply want to upload files to the server for members to download it's an easy DIY job. You'll obviously have to experiment with whatever software you decide on, but we're here to help when you get stuck.

I'm confused by your last question "Would we need to have it hosted instead of using templates?"

All websites have to be hosted on a server. templates are simply that - ready-made page layouts, into which you insert your content before publishing your site to the server. As for Pipex allowing files to be downloaded - they have no say in the matter. Whenever you view a web-page (on any site) your browser is downloading the html page files and displaying them for you, that's how it works. If you want to have other file formats avalabe for download - PDF, or Word documents for instance, you simply put them in a folder on your server space, and provide a hyperlink to them on your site pages. The visitor clicks the link, and his/her browser does the downloading.

silverous 12:56 31 Jul 2006

You could look at a provider that does this for you. A quick search revealed this one and I noticed that there is a "henley squash" team on there already. They have photo albums etc.

click here

or

click here

The second (didn't check the first for it) offers a free 30 day trial. They don't list squash but you may find the generic 'other' option has the features you need.

Saves re-inventing the wheel.

Robert-272781 18:16 31 Jul 2006

Many thanks for your information and advice - its always difficult when you haven't done something before.

I'm going to have a go at a DIY page and if turns out ok, I'll develop it further, if not I'll seek further help.

Thanks again.

Bob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?