DIY Restore Disk?

DuncanG 14:04 01 Mar 2006

Afternoon people. I have just finnished putting together a PC for my mother to replace her ancient machine. It was begged from work when being chucked out.

Basically its an old Dell running Pentium 3 700 with 196Mb Ram and Windows 98SE. I have chucked a new 40Gb hard drive in and installed all the microsoft updates/patches/drivers which took me forever. Yes its still an old machine but it runs broadband just fine and does word processing etc.

What i need to do is this, i would like to create a full backup of the machine before i hand it over, a clone of operating system and all software etc and then store that on a partition. I want to be able to easily bring it back to new should it go wrong etc. She is 300 miles away and NOT IT literate, so want an easy way to bring machine back from the dead if she manages to delete some registry files or similar!!

stylehurst 14:11 01 Mar 2006

Have a look at Acronis True Image; you can set up a secure zone on the HDD ,or burn a restore image to CD.
If you also burn a boot CD at the same time you could supply the package to your mother with instructions which would enable her to restore the machine even if she cannot start Windows.
I presume you have split the HDDinto 2 partitions with all data on the second partition & only OS & programs on first partition. That way she should not lose any data, unless the HDD fails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?