DIY PC (UPDATE)A

rickimalone 21:26 03 May 2004

This is the complete list of the componets now bought for my mother inlaws PC project that im undertaking.

Delivery date is 06/05/04 and I already have the crucial 512MB PC2700 RAM.

Motherboard:ASUS A7V8X-X: click here bought from:click here

CPU:2500+(BARTON):click here

GRAPHICS CARD:RADEON 9200SE:click here

MONITOR:click here

HARDDRIVE:Western Digital:click here

CDRW/DVD:Samsung:click here
on=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48654

FLOPPY:PANASONIC:click here

CASE:click here

O/S:WindowsXP:click here

This all icluding delivery has come to just under £490, the original requirements of machine was broadband,storing digital pictures,email,wordprocessing and basic home accounting.

I think that ive done all right and with the MOBO-CPU-RAM it should perform quite well.

Im going to be building this as my first PC DIY and am getting a bit worried about setting up bios and updating the right bios and all the cmos setting apects of the build.
I have some great websites on the manual process of building and was wondering if anyone had any advice/websites on the more technical side of what is instore for me next weekend.

All imput will be much appreciated..

rickimalone 21:27 03 May 2004

Sorry:click here

rickimalone 21:43 03 May 2004

Here is the first post:click here

Ive preety much kept to specs apart from buying new 17inc CRT and new keyboard/mouse..

Gongoozler 21:56 03 May 2004

I bought the white version of that monitor for my daughters computer rebuild, and it's a very good budget monitor. Crisp picture and good colours.

Building a computer is quite a straightforward process. The main piece of advice I can give is don't try to get the whole thing working in one go. Connect the power supply, motherboard, processor with heatsink, memory, graphics card, power switch and case speaker. Leave the drives and the other case connections. You should get the POST beep and initial BIOS boot screens ending with a message that no operating system has been found. If you get that far, you know that the basic system is working and you can then make all the other connections with confidence.

My other piece of advice is to fit the processor and heatsink with the motherboard out of the case and resting on a firm surface. You can then apply as much pressure on the heatsink clips as you need to, and can check that the heatsink is firmly and correctly positioned. I always fit the memory with the motherboard out of the case as well.

ThePharcyde007 21:57 03 May 2004

dude, built P3.2 last night! piece of cake set bios to default install windows and drivers job done 2 hours from build to installation of software only my 2nd attempt for a mate!

rickimalone 22:13 03 May 2004

In a slight panic now, thanks for both posts though im sure things will go ok.....

accord 22:45 03 May 2004

rickimalone

hey no worries, just follow Gongoozlers advise above and everything will be fine. There is always plenty of people on this forum if you need further help.

Good luck

Gongoozler 22:45 03 May 2004

[email protected] PANIC.

Shaking hands don't help with computer building ;-).

Gongoozler 22:46 03 May 2004

Sorry, that was meant to be big friendly words:

DON'T PANIC

ThePharcyde007 22:49 03 May 2004

and make sure you are wearing your anti-static underpants!

gudgulf 23:09 03 May 2004

Go for it!!! Post here for problems you encounter.

When it is all up and running and you can say "I did that" you will feel a warm glow inside.

Only one word of caution---when it becomes known that you can build computers you might need to hide from all your friends and neighbours.I now have half my street knocking on my door with pc problems--good luck ;o))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?