DIY PC

Anti_Virus 17:57 13 Jun 2008

Hi. After receiving this months PC Advisor and reading about building your on PC, I have been prompted into seriously looking into building one, something I've wanted to do for a long time. After theoretically building my PC by adding everything I want to online shopping baskets (I haven't purchased anything yet), I just wanted to know if everything was compatible. Any comments would be appreciated.

"Gigabyte 3D Mars - Black" Case
"Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L socket LGA775" Motherboard
"Intel Core2 Duo E7200" CPU
"OCZ 600W StealthXStream" PSU
"OCZ 4GB PC2-8000 Platinum XTC (2x2GB)" RAM
"Asus Silent Knight II 3in1" CPU Cooler
"Hitachi 500GB SATA-2 P7k500 16MB Buffer" HDD
"Asus Extreme 8600GT 512MB" Graphics Card
"Sony DRU-190S SATA DVD-+RW" Optical Drive

So what do you think? Is everything there compatible, and will it work OK? One thing in particular I wanted to check was if 600W was OK for that spec, in terms of whether it would be enough watts. What do you think?

Ashrich 00:27 14 Jun 2008

600w power should be fine , the minimum for the 8600gt is about 400w , the rest of the line up looks good but don't forget to budget for an OS as well , unless you have a full price retail version that is redundant and not being used on any other PC .

Ashley

ICF 07:12 14 Jun 2008

Could you stretch your budget to a 8800gt or 9600gt.

Anti_Virus 10:48 16 Jun 2008

Thanks Ashrich, I'm glad to hear the 600W is enough for that spec, and that it's all compatible.

To be honest ICF, I'm not sure I can having looked at the prices. With VAT, it's £80 dearer than the 8600GT. Unless you can tell me what the benifits of going for that one are, and you highly recomend it, I'm not sure whether I can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?