DIY NAS questions

CrazyTalk 15:43 21 Nov 2009

Hi,

Am currently looking at doing my own NAS set up. I have a spare old DELL box with PSU, mother board. I plan to add sataII hard drives to it. I know I can get FreeNas from the web, I also plan to get a WOL 1000 NIC. My question is really down to how many SATAII hard drives can I get in to a raid 5 config? I have read I can get a PC SATA control card which will have four SATA ports on and can run raid5 with this no problem, as insane as it sounds I may want to get another PCI card in the future to add more to the config if needs be. Is this possible i.e. two cards with at least 8 SATAII ports? Can I have 8 disks running in Raid5? - AM a bit lost on this and my brains starting to run away with itself!

Any forsight would be greatly apreciated.

Ta

Why on earth go to all this trouble. Surely just a simple NAS is all you need as you have copies on your other machines. What is your security policy?

CrazyTalk 08:12 28 Nov 2009

Yes I do agree a simple Nas would be the way forward but money is also a problem, where a NAS with 3 - 4 TB is usually £400 -> £600. Unless you know of any good deals. I dont want the NAS to be on all the time hence the WOL functoinality i.e. send magic packets to wake up shut down. I want my data to be as safe as possible as I do have loads of photos and home vidoes in HD hence having redundancy is a nice to have. IF you thikn there are some options with regards to consumer based NAS's and pointers would be apreciated

THanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?