DIY External HDD

Mike D 16:23 13 Aug 2005

I saw a bargain (?)hard drive enclosure, complete with USB2 and Firewire ports for £20 (The Technology Factory, Worcester) and thought that, for that price, I could afford to have a dabble. I dusted off an old 4.3 Gb Fujitsu drive and installed it and all went well BUT the capacity is only shown as 1.96 Gb. I have reformatted and converted to NTFS (I have Windows XP), but no joy with the size reported. I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious.

All help appreciated.

Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 13 Aug 2005

(start > run > regedit <enter>) and go to the following folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters there add a new key named "EnableBigLba" , type: "REG_DWORD" and "value 1" (excluding the quotes (")) now restart and your windows will see the true size

johnnyrocker 16:50 13 Aug 2005

try right click 'my computer' manage/manage disk and should be ok then

johnny.

woodchip 16:54 13 Aug 2005

The drive should first have a Primary Partition Created on it

woodchip 16:55 13 Aug 2005

The drive should also be set as a Master drive with the Drive jumper

Mike D 19:25 13 Aug 2005

Well thanks to all of you. I had done everything that you suggested. However, if you hold the disk upside down when setting the jumpers you do get some strange results!

All is now OK and you have permission to point me out as an object of ridicule in the street.

Mike

Well thanks to all of you. I had done everything that you suggested. However, if you hold the disk upside down when setting the jumpers you do get some strange results!

All is now OK and you have permission to point me out as an object of ridicule in the street.

Mike

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?