Ditto Symbol

billyliv 10:16 20 Aug 2003

Hi, In word I notice that there isn't a 'Ditto Symbol' (=//=). How do I create one? Cheers, Bill

pj123 12:01 20 Aug 2003

A macro would be the best way, but it would probably take just as long to run the macro as it would to type in =//= because the "=" would vary in length.

plankton 12:48 20 Aug 2003

Please can I just say that I wouldnt know what =//= meant? I wouldnt know what "=" meant either. Is it ---"--- that is required? Or ---'---. Or even ---do--- . Only suggestions. Ditto's always been a pain since typewriters were invented... Thanks.

pj123 12:55 20 Aug 2003

plankton, I agree with you. Ditto to me has always been a long line then the quote marks " and then another long line. The line has always been dependent on how long the item above it is. So, as it changes frequently there cannot be a symbol to cover it all.

Mango Grummit 13:16 20 Aug 2003

I always use -"-

or --"-- whatever. Looks OK I think.

Mango Grummit 13:17 20 Aug 2003

Seeing at it there not quite as good but it looks alright in Word.

plankton 18:45 20 Aug 2003

Thanks for agreeing. I've seen lots of attempts at "ditto" but I don't think there is an accepted alternative (I've asked me wife an she's a secretary)in fact she says they have to retype the whole thing to avoid confusion...

Or we could just call everybody Bruce...?

Pesala 21:11 20 Aug 2003

… … … … … … … … … …

rev.bem 21:17 20 Aug 2003

▬▬▬▬ ║ ▬▬▬▬

rev.bem 21:18 20 Aug 2003

oops.

DieSse 23:02 20 Aug 2003

Every reference I've looked up defines a ditto mark as ײ no leading or trailing anythings, and not curly double quotation marks.

You can find several characters which would do the job - the one I liked best was in the Hebrew bit of the Arial character set.

You can get this from the character map (insert - symbol) - and if you like, in Word, you can assign a key code to it - I would thing AltGr d would be good - then it becomes just another AltGr key, like the ?

Of the symbol in the first paragraph comes otu wrongly - blame them, not me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?