Disposing of an old P2 400Mhz PC

mdshamilton 14:23 08 Apr 2004

I have a Gateway Pentium 2 400Mhs PC with a keyboard, mouse and an Epson Colour 600 (the monitor died 2 weeks ago). I looked at the PCs for Charity website, but they appear to be looking for coporate PCs in volume rather than the odd single PC.

Any recommendations as to whom I can give my PC away to (it seems a shame to take it to the tip)? I live near Twickenham. As an aside, the primary school my son goes to recently had the same problems getting rid of 5 similarly spec'd PCs and monitors.

mdshamilton 14:24 08 Apr 2004

Sorry, one further question - can anyone recommend a free disk reformatter/scrubber so I can ensure the HD is clean of my personal data?

AndySD 14:41 08 Apr 2004

My favorite free disk reformatter/scrubber is the old but reliable Wipe and Zap from IBM but I cant seem to find it online. I will leave a copy of it click here for a while.

Stuartli 16:00 08 Apr 2004

Depending on where you live, this directory should help:

click here

Stuartli 16:03 08 Apr 2004

Local councils now have far more responsibility for waste disposal and recycling than previously - might be worth giving them a call.

Indigo 1 17:11 08 Apr 2004

Alternatively, take it to your local church. They will know of a third world charity who can almost certainly make use of it, working or not.

Widows Son 17:15 08 Apr 2004

stick it on ebay - someone will give you a few pounds for it - it'd be ideal for someone who wanted a second machine to use for Linux etc

Well, this may be a little cheeky. I gave my ancient PC to my mum who is still learning the intricacies of using a mouse, its a P1 150 with an entire 96Mb of RAM....i know its a beast. If you want a good home for it, she would appreciate something a little quicker. And i live not a million miles from Twickenham. Just a thought.

Tinkey Winkey 22:04 08 Apr 2004

I'd love to have an old 400mhz PC for my daughter to play with !!

Legolas 22:13 08 Apr 2004

To scrub your drive try this click here I have used it and it is good and very secure.

mdshamilton 12:56 13 Apr 2004

Thanks for all your help. I'll be taking or sending (for £8) the PC and other bits to click here after wiping the HD myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?