Disposal of old computer

colinstevens1@supanet.com 14:06 11 May 2003

I have an old BBC `B` computer with keyboard,colour monitor and disk drive,but of course no Internet access.Also some useful programs on disk and still in full working order.Does anyone know where I might be able to donate the package for free.It seems a shame to take it to the dump.

unfortunately most charities that ship old computers to the third world won't take anything less than a pentium system, try advertising it as a freebie in your local free-ads paper some geek might want to play with it. if you are in the far north of scotland i'll have it.

pj123 14:35 11 May 2003

Yes, I had the same problem with a Commodore 64 and Amiga. Charities can't take them anymore because of the Health & Safety rules. Mine, unfortunately, went in the bin eventually, unless you can find someone like horiz5 who would like to have a go at it.

_Treb_ 15:07 11 May 2003

Why not offer to pay for carriage on the BBC Comp then both of you will be happy, just a thought.

wee eddie 16:52 11 May 2003

Try the Science Museum

AMD 4 ever 17:03 11 May 2003

I would love to have it. I love the old hardware!

-pops- 17:06 11 May 2003

The BBC computer (with the Commodore and Amiga) was an important development in the advance of personal computing. You may find a technical museum attached to a college or university interested in it if it's in reasonable condition and working order, even if the Science Museum don't want it.

Brian

wee eddie 17:07 11 May 2003

Such a computer would be unlikely to be welcomed by even a 9yo kid as they are so worldly these days.

So go for a pensioner, who would like to try their hand at letter writing, but peripherals will likely be a problem.

Diemmess 17:24 11 May 2003

More useless advice!

Even the local refuse collectors will shun it now. HSE regs about heavy metal from the solder! You are still OK to take it to the tip yourself.

Remarks about a pensioner show how young wee eddie still is! .....When he nears pension age he might feel a bit stuffy to be offered something that requires a lot of skill to use.

Yonks ago when TV was a novelty and it was BBC or nothing, there was an add in our local paper which offered for sale a TV set - "no picture, suit blind person or pensioner."

AMD 4 ever 17:27 11 May 2003

Iam serious. click my envelope if you want a new home for it?

-pops- 17:54 11 May 2003

I agree with Diemmess. As someone who is almost pensionable age (I am retired), I resent the thought that people consider me as a mindless, decrepit halfwit.

On occasions, I need to use a wheelchair. That is even worse. As well as people thinking I'm ga-ga they also think for some reason that I am deaf and speak to whoever is pushing the chair just as though I wasn't there.

For information, I have built computers for many years and I still do, using the most up to date components. By doing this I remain fairly knowledgeable about technological developments and, as may be noticed, I try to make some contribution to the discussions on this forum. I may not be well up on modern idioms and txt speak but how long will these last anyway?

I think you will find that a pensioner will not be happy with a machine that, as Diemmess says, requires some skill and knowledge to be able to use it properly when they can easily get hold of a machine fitted with a Windows system. This, as well as being intrinsically easy to use, does make provision for those who may not be fully blessed with all of God's given faculties of dexterity, sight and hearing.

I am rambling now (it must be the old age) but, Mack1, don't bin it whatever you do. The machine is an important part of computer history. Try and find it a good home.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?