Display probs

Hetti 11:57 31 Jan 2005

I have an old PC which seems to have the wrong display settings, but when I try to change them the "settings" in displat properties is greyed out, so i cannot alter them.

This is an old PC running win 95.

Any Ideas?

ACOLYTE 12:03 31 Jan 2005

Have you instaled the graffix driver?,sounds like it runing the default VGA driver.

Hetti 16:25 31 Jan 2005

Acolyte
just got back on PC, no I have not installed graffix driver, not sure what it is, the pc is old about 6 yrs but it is just gonna be used as a basic intro to pc's for grandson.

Grateful for any help !

Gongoozler 16:34 31 Jan 2005

Hetti, download and run Belarc Advisor click here and tell us what it says you have as a graphics card. It will be under the heading "Display".

Hetti 17:11 31 Jan 2005

Gongoozler

Sorry but this PC is not connected to internet, as I say it was just gonna be for grandson to use for word processing ect, not internet as I dont think it would be fast enough

Gongoozler 17:23 31 Jan 2005

Hi Hetti. Asd long as the computer has Internet Explorer, you can still use Belarc. I used it on my Grandsons computer. Download it to any computer and then transfer it to your Grandson's. It is only a 604k file. If you can't find what the graphics card is that way you may well have to open the box to find what it is.

The problem you will have is that most other ways need the drivers loaded to report what the hardware is. Without the correct software drivers, Windows will default to a basic driver which behaves as you described.

Hetti 19:17 31 Jan 2005

Thanks for that Gongoozler

I have Belarc on my own PC but do not know how to move it to G/son PC.
The old PC has just stood for about 4 years so it will not have had any drivers updated as you say, we dont know if there is anything on it at all......... do we need anything on it to be able to transfer Belarc?

And I will need to connect to the internet to get the drivers right?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?