Display Problems

TequilaSunrise 09:24 18 Apr 2007

Hi, I'm trying to help out a friend who's experiencing difficulties with his pc. Here are the specs:

Dell Intel Pentium 4 630 3000MHz
Windows XP Media Centre Edition SP2
Graphics: Radeon X300 SE 128MB Hypermemory

Problems Experienced (i'm just going to try and describe them as best as i can based on what he's told me)

Yahoo Mail - no longer shows selected mail as highlighted

Myspace.com - Firefox wont display banners, videos/media and backgrounds. IE7 will not display backgrounds only

Microsoft Windows Update - will not display the green progress bar, only displays a empty box

Macafee - he never installed this until after these problems occured so he knows there are empty boxes but doesnt know what is supposed to be there instead.

He doesnt have a restore point before this happened (it was months and months ago). He doesnt want to do a clean install as he has files he would prefer not to lose and doesnt have another drive to tranfer them to. His graphics card is appearing twice in device manager under display adapter (one appears as secondary). I've advised him to install Ad-aware, Spybot and A-Squared on top of what he already has, although i have no personal knowledge of Macafee so i do not know what it should protect him against (but the 3 programs i told him to download all found loads of risks etc). His computer was running extrememly slow and although the things i have told him to do so far has sped it up, it still doesnt seem to be running at full capacity.

He downloaded and ran everest home edition and at the time he had yahoo online protection (yahoo at&t), macafee and windows defender running and this was the results for his memory:

Physical Memory: Total 510 MB Used 418 MB Free 91 MB Utilization 82 % Swap Space: Total 1241 MB Used 723 MB Free 517 MB Utilization 58 % Virtual Memory: Total
1751 MB Used 1142 MB Free 609 MB Utilization 65 %

If anyone could provide a helping hand it would be greatly appreciated

wee eddie 09:55 18 Apr 2007

Has McAfee successfully installed, been updated and run? I know this sounds silly but there are some, out there, who have never Updated or Run their Anti Virus?

You make no mention of a Fire Wall.

Has he cleared out all the usual Temporary files and Recycle Bin, Defragmented and then run XP's full Error Checking on his HDD?

None of these is likely to make any difference most of his problems but will start him on the road to a cleaned future.

Remember to tell him to set a Restore Point before making any big alterations. I have been told that it is a good idea, when you know that everything is running smoothly, to clear the Restore Points by turning them "OFF" and rebooting. Remember to turn them on again.

wee eddie 09:58 18 Apr 2007

Don't push too much onto him at once. All that happens is that one forgets about 2/3rds of what one has been told.

TequilaSunrise 10:05 18 Apr 2007

yeah he's updated and ran it. well windows defender is supposed to be turned on (although i dont like it personally), i've been trying to persuade him to download one but he's convinced that macafee has one included.

defrag has also been completed but not sure what you mean exactly by error checking on HDD. can you give me the steps of the process please?

and yes, i've also got it drilled into his head to create restore points regularly. yeah he's kind of impatient when it comes to things he doesnt understand so i started out with the simple stuff just to make sure at least some of it got done.

thanks for your help so far

wee eddie 11:53 18 Apr 2007

but it does little harm and is said to be good for the system. I usually run it, about once every 6 months or so, on Sunday morning after a Defrag. Then set it off and go out to lunch.

My Computer > Local Disk > Properties > Tools > Error Checking > Check Now > Check both Options > Start . It will then tell you that it requires the sole use of the HDD and will run when you next turn on > Turn off > Reboot.

Then settle down with a good book. It could take up to 5 hours.

TequilaSunrise 18:22 18 Apr 2007

Yeah he's tried that earlier today and still not helping with either the speed or the display problems.

any other ideas are still welcome

and thanks again

Woolwell 18:50 18 Apr 2007

Which version of McAfee is he running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires