Display problem after update

Graham John 10:50 29 Oct 2010

I have mistakenly installed an optional update from Windows update. I have a plug and play Dell Monitor running on a windows XP sp3 pc. Since installing this update I have a very low resolution and cannot increase it, everything appears magnified. I have tried system restore to an earlier point which does not change anything. The Update is to a 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra display driver. As this is a basic Dell machine I do not believe I have this display adapter. How can I restore to normal viewing. I have ATI Display Driver in the add and remove programs but reluctant to un-install in case I have no display! Thanks in advance.

birdface 10:54 29 Oct 2010

Try device manager and open display adapters .Double click on what you opened and go to driver.And roll back the driver and see if that helps.

Graham John 10:56 29 Oct 2010

Thanks buteman, but I get 'no device drivers have been backed up for this device'.

gengiscant 10:59 29 Oct 2010

Go to the Dell website and download the driver for your graphics card and reinstall.click here

Graham John 11:02 29 Oct 2010

How do I know which graphics card I have?

birdface 11:04 29 Oct 2010

Not sure what to do next.
Best waiting for someone else to give you the proper information.
You could delete the driver but when you reboot Microsoft would just put the same driver back.
And like you say if you go to add remove and make sure show updates is ticked you could remove the last update but once more best waiting for some proper advice in case you loose your display completely.
Have you gone to the Dell site and tried to find the proper driver for your computer.

click here

gengiscant 11:05 29 Oct 2010

SIW will tell you click here (the free edition is all you need)
But if you go to the link I provided earlier, I believe Dell will help you find what you need.

Graham John 11:10 29 Oct 2010

Hi gengiscant, many thanks, have followed your link but there are 11 video drivers for my dimension 4300, very difficult to navigate as I only have about 25% of a web page on the screen and in very poor resolution.

Graham John 11:16 29 Oct 2010

I have gone into Windows system information and it is called '16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra', so maybe the problem is something else? Can I uninstall an update in Windows XP?

gengiscant 11:20 29 Oct 2010

Download and install this one click here

Graham John 11:33 29 Oct 2010

Thanks gengiscant, working on it now, thankfully have a new windows 7 next to it to help me out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?