display problem

spud10 22:14 27 Oct 2006

I am having an unusual problem with the graphics card in my Dell Dimension 8300 PC.
If I check the card in the device manger the error message says that there is a problem with the card (Error Code 10) and that there are no drivers installed even though all the drivers for the ATI card are installed.
I bought a new GeForce 6 graphics card and installed this card and everything seemed to be working fine but when I reboot the computer the error message is back and windows has loaded a generic driver instead. If I uninstall the card in the device manager and reinstall the driver the card works properly.
The problem occurred last week when I heard a popping noise from the PC case.
I know now that the problem is not the graphics card as I have replaced it.
Have I blown a chip on the motherboard and can it be repaired or do I have to replace the motherboard.

woodchip 22:23 27 Oct 2006

Just for fun, Have a look in the BIOS for display. See if says anything

spud10 22:47 27 Oct 2006

Thanks for the reply.
I have checked the bios and the primary video controller is set for AGP which is correct as the graphics card is an AGP type.

woodchip 22:50 27 Oct 2006

Have you tried Uninstalling Graphics Adapter in Device Manager then restart Comp, Or try it in Safe Mode

woodchip 22:52 27 Oct 2006

Does the Motherboard Have onboard Graphics? other than you AGP card. If it has what does it show In Device Manager

spud10 23:07 27 Oct 2006

I have uninstalled the Graphics Adapter in device manager and safe mode.
The Graphics Adapter uninstalls and when I reboot the computer windows detects the Graphics Adapter and will try to install it. If I have the driver cd in the cd drive the drivers will install if I do not install the drivers the computer will start up using a generic windows display driver. When I shutdown the computer and restart I have the same problem and there is a problem with the Graphics Adapter in the device manager.
The motherboard does not have onboard graphics.

kimjhon 00:39 28 Oct 2006

You have plugged the monitor into the socket provided by the card ?

spud10 14:30 28 Oct 2006

Thanks for the reply, dcdc
I have the monitor plugged into the socket provided by the card. I still have the problem even with the card which was supplied with the pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone