Display problem

Peverelli 22:14 09 Aug 2003

I've recently been getting a problem with my display. After an amount of time (could be anything from 10 minutes to a couple of hours) the text on my screen fades and I can only make out the top of the letters. Then all the graphics go fuzzy and then the computer freezes. It might be a coincidence but it seemed to start with the onset of the very hot weather. Tried un/reinstalling graphics card. CPU running at 57C and Mobo at 37C. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Windows XP

Athlon XP2400+

NVIDIA Geforce2 MX/MX400

daba 23:31 09 Aug 2003

refresh for a second opinion (third?), but i think you may be right with the temperature thing, but not with the CPU temp.

Sounds to me like it's your graphics card is failing in the elevated temperatures we're having

hugh-265156 00:33 10 Aug 2003

your system temps seem ok but there is no real way to tell the temp of the card.

try aiming a desktop fan at your graphics card and see if it still does it.you can buy a fan that attaches to the pci slots and blows across the card very cheaply too.

with an athlon XP2400+ i would be tempted to upgrade my card to say a geforce 4200ti or radeon 9000(about £80)but only if you play games.

Peverelli 08:06 10 Aug 2003

Thanks for that. I'm not a gamer, so happy with a more basic card (it's only a couple of months old). I have changed my settings to 16 bit colour and adjusted for best performance instead of best appearance so maybe that'll give the card less to do. I'll report back later in the day to say whether that has solved the problem or not.

Peverelli 19:32 10 Aug 2003

PC's been on for 4 hours now & graphic display still OK, so maybe the problem has been sorted. Posting this will probably give it the kiss of death. Shall wait for another 24 hours before I eventually tick as resolved.

Peverelli 13:47 17 Aug 2003

Oops! Should have ticked the resolved box a few days ago.

Everything's been working fine since my little tweaking session.

Thanks for your comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?