Display Manager missing in Device Manager

CR93Pete 17:18 08 Dec 2007

Hi Team, I have used your Helproom Forum a lot during the last 4-5 weeks. Fistly my PC built with instructions in the mag in 2002 has been acting a bit strange and enventualy was put down as ATI Radeaon 9550 card gone faulty under warranty. It had been a replacement for a Gainward Geforce 4 MX450 put in when I built the system. I just needed something better with the Nero 7 and the Pinnacle upgrade. After having sent it off, I put the old card back and it wasn't performing properly, so I did a bit more checking , with Everest and found that the AGP was only going at x1 not x4. I wanted to do a repair as I beleived there to be damage to the registry files and it wouldn't run SFC /SCANNOW. I managed to get it to repair using a "slipstreamed" disc using my XP original disc with SP1 included and the Mag's own SP2 disc. I kept getting requests for files which in most cases had to find out from where, before could install them. Ran into problems with some that I couldn't copy onto floppy. See previous Post. I re-alised that the motherboard was also damaged. Suitable motherboards for Slot A AMD processors are not really available new anymore so I chased around and bought a S/H one. I have fitted a Gigabyte GA-7NNXP as a replacement for the GA-7N400 Pro 2, this is a similar board but a year later and should be more of an enhancement. Built it up and exentualy managed to get it to start suprisingly without getting involved with Microsoft. The XP upates were a pain as they wouldn't go in because of problems caused by the Slipstreamed disc. Problem is now it won't take the drivers for an ATI X1650 card. I downloaaded them off the net which were newer and a little better but still won't have it. I have tried using the old Gainward but even that doesnt want to play. It will not scroll evenly. I have checked in the Device Manager but no Display Manager or any other sign of a video or display is visible. I have removed the Pinnacle Capture card for the duration as I suspect it was interfereing with the installation. On checking with Everest it shows that in the Motherboard/Chipset/ AGP Controller the Status is "disabled" It also lists it as a problem and says that it will cause a loss of performance. How do I restore the Status to enabled ? I have checked the bBIOS but it is listed in the Advance Bios Setup, Flexible AGP 8X to AUTO (default) not 4x. The Initial Display was set to PCI (Default) I have since tried it as AGP with no sucess. What do you suggest ? I find it very annoying as I am sure it will be something so simple I will kick ( or something else nasty ) myself when I am told what to try as I should have thought of that before

C3 18:25 08 Dec 2007

This is how I do it!

Adding a video card :

First off, I make sure I have the video card set up disc or download the latest drivers for it.

Uninstall any existing video drivers in Windows. You can go to device manager, rightclick on the display adapter and uninstall.

The BIOS should be set so that the video adapter (display) should be AGP. Change the rate if you need to (you said it was 8x so select that if you can)

Save and Reboot.

The motherboard should make a single beep and hopefully start up into windows.

Once in windows it will try and detect the new hardware. If it asks to look for drivers, click cancel. Use the set up disc or downloaded drivers and install the drivers.

You will probably need to reboot. Once back in Windows, rightclick somewhere on the desktop, choose Properties, then settings and you can change the screen size. if you click on Advanced, you will get more options to change the video details.

I've just had a thought as well. Does the X1650 need a separate power supply? you may have to hook up a power lead to it. This may be causing your problem. I did that with my old GF6800!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?