Display keeps blacking out

climb45 16:00 24 Jan 2010

I have an old Mesh PC running Windows XP with a GeForce 256 graphics card. Once logged on, the display keeps blacking out for a few seconds on a regular basis. I've changed the refresh rate, tried two different monitors, started the pc in safemode, but to no avail. This only seems to happen once Windows has loaded.

JohnWilliams 16:10 24 Jan 2010

Is it set up to automatically turn off the display after a set amount of time? Check your display settings, can't remember how to do it on XP.

Diemmess 16:10 24 Jan 2010

My guess is a failing graphics card.
I don't know a way of checking without substitution, unless you have a disabled integrated graphic device on the motherboard.

JohnWilliams 16:13 24 Jan 2010

Have a look here
click here

climb45 16:54 24 Jan 2010

I suspected it was the graphics card. There is no onboard graphics, but I have a very old basic ATI Rage Pro card I could try in it. What's the best install procedure? I believe I have to disable or uninstall the display adapter for the current card then shut down, replace the cards and boot up. Is this correct?

GaT7 17:11 24 Jan 2010

"I believe I have to disable or uninstall the display adapter for the current card then shut down, replace the cards and boot up. Is this correct?"

Yes, that's right. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017