display flickering like a refresh

techy gal 16:01 15 Sep 2006

Hi
for the last day or so my display on my monitor keeps flickering about every 2 seconds as though it were doing a refresh and the egg-timer is constantly displayed next to the cursor.
i have a HP COmpaq d330 desktop with a Gigabyte Radeon 9250 128Mb Graphics card and a AOC monitor.
i have downloaded BIOS updates. i have tried to change the monitor refresh rate (currently 75mHz) but that does not seem to have made a difference.
does anyone have any ideas? it's infuriating because it is preventing the mouse from selecting anything the first time if it is going through it's 'refresh'
thanks

nob14 16:06 15 Sep 2006

what you need to do is determine if the pC or monitor is at fault. try it on another PC.

If the PC, then graphics card if monitor then try a degauss and if still no better then it might be time for a new one.

Stuartli 16:07 15 Sep 2006

Also consider upgrading the graphics card drivers.

DieSse 16:24 15 Sep 2006

*and the egg-timer is constantly displayed next to the cursor.*

I think this means it's not a hardware problem - your system is much busier than it should be, and this is almost certainly what's causing the display issue.

I suggest:-

do a clean up using the standard XP cleanup facility.

do a full AV scan with an up-to-date AV program

do a full Spyware check using at least two, and preferably three different anti-malware programs

And see if and how these help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?