Display Driver Stopped Responding

mother inlaw 08:56 02 Jan 2009

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so hello from me and a Happy New Year.

My current set up:

CPU Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Memory 2x DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 2048 MBytes, PDP Systems
Mobo Asus P5KC
GFX 8800GT Nvidia GeForce
OS Microsoft Windows Vista64 (6.0) Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
Sound Creative SB X-FI

More frequently I am experiencing the message "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered." It's so far only happened when playing Company of Heroes. The game freezes, screen goes black the sound continues in the back ground but the game never recovers I have to cntrl alt del out and manually shut the game down. A yellow triangle appears in the task bar and displays "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered."

I have the latest dirvers for the gfx card:180.48_geforce_winvista_64bit_english_whql

..... and am unsure what else to try? Any ideas will be greatly apreciated

johndrew 10:31 02 Jan 2009

If you feel happy about doing so, you could unplug the PC from the mains, open the case and re-seat the RAM and graphics card. The problem may be caused by bad contacts. This link gives a lot of information on doing both but in the context of building a PC click here

Failing that I can only offer a temporary fix click here and how `temporary it is I have no idea. As the words say the problem could be caused by heat or faulty memory.

mooly 12:09 02 Jan 2009

Is it like this,
click here

citadel 13:27 02 Jan 2009

could just be the game causing the problem, install game patch. this is a common problem with games.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?