Display Colour problems

markcellis 21:19 02 May 2006

Hi there - my dear lady wife has seemingly crippled our old PC. Unfortunately she can't remember how or what she did to it. We now only have a display in 16 colours - looks and feels like "safe mode" and I can't find any way of changing it. There are apparently options for 256 colours and High Colour (16 bit) as well but I can't get it to change to these.Also the screen area seems stuck on 640 x 480 pixels. We're running Win 98 SE.

Jackcoms 21:54 02 May 2006

Not sure about Win 98 (that was released shortly after the quill pen and vellum, wasn't it?).

But in XP you would go to Control Panel; Display; Settings.

There are then options to alter the screen resolution and colour quality.

VoG II 21:57 02 May 2006

She has probably changed the refresh rate to a value that the monitor won't support. Start in Safe mode click here and change the refresh rate - see the monitor manual for supported values.

rsinbad 22:01 02 May 2006

have you tried to restore your comp to before your problem?

markcellis 11:20 03 May 2006

Hi all,
Thanks for your responses.

I have tried the control panel, display, settings route you have suggested Jackcoms but no joy there. I think Win 98 actually pre-dates the quill pen! ;-)

As for rsinbad's suggestion of restoring to before the problem this could be quite an involved process I think as the problem has been there for about a month now. If all else fails we will consider doing this - for various reasons sorting this problem out has not been top of my "to do" list until now.

I will have a go at trying VoG™'s suggestion regarding altering the refresh rate tonight and will report back.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Wak 19:14 03 May 2006

Does this help at all?

click here

markcellis 21:32 04 May 2006

Hi Wak - just followed the procedure you suggested but it hasn't solved it.
Thanks anyway.

markcellis 21:35 04 May 2006

Hi VoG™ - The refresh rate is set to "Adapter Default" so that doesn't seem to be it. Thanks anyway.

Wak 08:29 05 May 2006

Hi, Right click MY COMPUTER (on the desk top), Left click Properties/ Device Manager and see if you have any yellow exclamations marks anywhere.
These can point to a possible problem.

woodchip 08:35 05 May 2006

Try this shut Computer Down to DOS, You will see the box to tick for DOS when you choose shut down. Now in DOS type

SCANREG /RESTORE press enter

use the arrow key's and enter to restore the oldest date back

markcellis 21:19 09 May 2006

Hi Woodchip - tried the SCANREG/RESTORE procedure but it only goes back a couple of days - we've been having these problems for at least 4 weeks now. I did restore to the earliest date as you suggested but initially got the following messsage:

KEYBUGCHECKEX: called by r00263of
Error Code is 44
Parameters c1460a00 0 0 0
system halted.

I powered down and powered up again and it restarted. Not sure what the message means but if anyone has any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them.

Hi Wak - had a look at Device Manager as you suggest but no exclamation marks anywhere.

Cheers and thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?