Diskeeperlite wont defrag-

taffyal 16:01 25 Jan 2006

When I try to defrag using Diskeeper lite, it keeps aborting saying " Fatal Error- File:\\?\C:\Recycled\Dc2.Dat
Initially, it said the error was in Limewire, so I uninstalled that, I tried restore,I get to 10% of analyse, then this error shows up!I'm running XP Pro on an Emachine with 1.3processor, 256 ram & 30gig HD. I last defragged a week ago O.K.Any ideas please? cheers, Al.

Gongoozler 16:49 25 Jan 2006

Hi taffyal, I think C:\Recycled\ is your C drive Recycle bin, so if you empty that, the problem might go away. I used to use Diskeeper lit when I was running Windows 98, but I don't really find it much of an improvement with XP, and without it I don't get those annoying "Upgrade" messages.

taffyal 17:00 25 Jan 2006

Thanks Gongoozler, but I emptied that to no avail. Strangely, when I go to run & type in c: recycle etc, it brings up "My Computer", but with C:recycled etc in address bar!!

PaulB2005 17:18 25 Jan 2006

Open My Computer, Right click the C Drive, Properties, Tools, Error Checking - Check now, tick Automatically Fix File System Errors, uncheck Scan and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors. Click OK.

It'll state it can't you CHKDSK and ask if you want it to run on the next reboot. Say Yes and reboot.

Allow CHKDSK to run when the PC starts up.

Try again.

taffyal 13:38 27 Jan 2006

Paul B2005. Only got back late last night, tried this this morning.Seems to have done the trick nicely. Many thanks, Al.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?