Diskeeper Lite problem

Graham ® 12:43 09 Jul 2004

Running XP, I've used Diskeeper Lite several times, but now it jumps to 12% (percent, if that gets garbled!) and stays there. Occasionally it gets to 25%, but stops there, too. The hard drive continues to rattle noisily, and keeps going when I stop the program. Then the computer will not shut down and I have to use the power button.

I have reinstalled the program twice, still the same.

So I uninstalled it and ran XPs defragmenter. That went through without a problem, though the noise from the hard drive was significantly less.

Which made me wonder, because Diskeeper is faster, is this at the expense of wear and tear on the hard drive?

MichelleC 12:47 09 Jul 2004

I can't answer but it may be worth doing a hd error-check too (plus maybe a 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'.

Graham ® 12:51 09 Jul 2004

I don't know how to do those.

VoG II 12:54 09 Jul 2004

Start, Run

chkdsk /f

and click OK.

Graham ® 12:58 09 Jul 2004

Thanks, both. I'm doing that right now.

TOPCAT® 13:10 09 Jul 2004

Had no problems myself (WinMe) so cannot help, but you may like to try looking at the FAQs or download a pdf manual from click here TC.

Graham ® 13:23 09 Jul 2004

chkdsk nothing to report.

TOPCAT®, will look at your link shortly. Just Dysoning the conservatory.

Indigo 1 13:36 09 Jul 2004

DK Lite does seem to play up when screen saver is active and also in Power Saving Mode but I assume you have disabled them when running it.

Graham ® 13:38 09 Jul 2004

Yup. Safe Mode, too.

Graham ® 13:56 09 Jul 2004

Hmm. The manual says to run chkdsk /r, as /f may not find errors in the free space where chkdsk can't find them. I'll try that, then. :-)

Graham ® 15:01 09 Jul 2004

Thanks all. Blimey Charlie! That took an hour. My system is clean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?