Diskeeper and chkdsk problem

Dannyb 10:25 03 Mar 2007

I have diskeeper installed on my PC and have started getting a window open which says that it cannot check my disk as "chkdsk is scheduled to run at startup and needs to take place first" (wording to that effect anyway). I have run chkdsk but still diskeeper will not work and tells me the same. Can anybody advise a)why is this happening and b)what can I do to rectify it. Thanks. I have Windows XP and Diskeeper v.10.0.606.0

terryf 10:34 03 Mar 2007

It is to do with the 'dirty bit', suggest you Google for 'dirty bit' and 'dirty bit set'. Have a look at the diskeeper FAQ click here

Legolas 10:38 03 Mar 2007

chkntfs /x c: try copying and pasting this command into the start/run field it is supposed to cancel a scheduled chkdsk

Curio 13:18 03 Mar 2007

Do you mean that each time you boot normally, it performs a check on your "C" drive before booting or does it never get to the stage of booting fully?

If it is checking first and then booting, what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and you have to unset that bit. Each time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes and check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run" type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and press Enter. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows NOT to check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has loaded, open a Command Prompt window again and perform a Chkdsk manually by typing CHKDSK /F /R C: This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Dannyb 15:24 03 Mar 2007

Thanks Curio, I have tried what you said but, when I did the CHKDSK F/R C: it didn't run through any checks. I have re-booted but, a blue window appears saying that a disk check is being carried out on Drive C, then immediately a line appears at the bottom of that message saying "operation cancelled" and then Windows boots up. I then entered FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and a small black window popped up and immediately disappeared, not giving me time to read anything that was in it.

Curio 16:37 03 Mar 2007

I Trust you typed in the CHKDSK /F /R C: with the spaces

Dannyb 15:48 04 Mar 2007

Hi Curio, I have tried that again and made sure that the spaces were as you showed them, but, instead of getting 5 stages of a scan, a message reads: "chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts (Y/N)" So, no scan has taken place and the problem continues. I inserted "Y" but, needlesss to say nothing happened when I restarted the sytem.

Curio 19:24 04 Mar 2007

Re-boot your PC and carry out the following.

Go to Start, Run, Type:
cmd /k chkdsk C:
Click OK.
3 checks will be made and you'll have a report at the end of it.
If problems are found it will not be able to do anything as the parameter has not been specfied as you will see.
So just type:
cmd /k chkdsk C: /f
Press Y and enter and this will schedule a full scan and will fix any errors.
Now to see what chkdsk has been up to click Start, Run, Type:
eventvwr
Click OK.
Click APPLICATION and look for "Winlogon" under Source. Double click it and there is your report.

Dannyb 20:20 04 Mar 2007

Well Curio, did that and it went through the three checks. It then reported "Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode." (I fully understand if you've had enough of this and am grateful for your help so far.)

terryf 10:53 05 Mar 2007

Try to login in Safe mode and run chkdsk /f /x

Dannyb 18:53 05 Mar 2007

Tried that in "Safe Mode" but got the message that another process was running again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?