Diskdrive security - no access

problematic 00:23 04 Nov 2006

Have a fujistu siemens lifebook S series, running XP professional. User Password for XP expired. Admin Password for XP long forgotten.

Tried to restore XP from CD, but not possible.

Hard drive on laptop is not accessible, during XP repair/restore. Must have encrption (ATA). Tried with different boot disk utilities, but hard drive not recognised. I have a case of double jeopardy. I have identified a utility to wipe the password encryption on drive, but this one is only of use if you can logon to XP.
CAN BOOT from hard drive - but since have no password to logon- this is not useful.

Need a method of making Hard drive accesible.
( note problem not related to any password on bios - can access bios but not hard drive settings). Am happy to lose data, if drive can be made available
Any ideas ?

kronyboy 00:33 04 Nov 2006

If you can boot with dos try control userpasswords2 gets you into the user accounts

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:54 04 Nov 2006

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

problematic 12:22 04 Nov 2006

Thanks for the suggestion above. To clarify, there are 2 issues (1) Missing XP passwords and (2) hard drive encryption. The 2nd is the big problem - I cannot solve No (1) until I solve No (2). When you get option to Repair on XP boot disk - prss (R), the message "Setup did not find any disks installed on your computer - cannot continue" - What seems to be happening is that disk security encrption is effectively "powering down" the hard drive to make it invisible to the CD. I need to find some way of removing the internal disk/firmware security, before I can fix the passwords on system.

( The hard disk is all OK and I can boot from it normally, but because I have no Admin of user passwords - it is useless)

The problem is I cannot access the hard drive from any bootable CD

Its not possible via BIOS,to change the internal disk security.

Any other ideas ? much appreciated

problematic 13:17 04 Nov 2006

Disk type is
( Serial ATA Port 0 [FUJITSU MHT2080BH-SATA] )

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 04 Nov 2006

Connect to anothe PC as a slave drive. if you can see the drive (but not the data) use disk management to format the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?