Disk write errors

drew645 06:24 03 Mar 2004

I am constantly getting a blue screen when I write to disk or download data. The heading is "Disk Write Error" and below it says " Unable to write to disk in drive C. Data or files may be lost. Press any key to continue"
If I do so I can continue but a few minutes later it happens again.
I have done a complete Thorough scandisc and no faults were found.
I am worried as it has occurred when I am downloading antivirus updates.
I use Windows 98SE and have never had this problem until the last few days. I also run XP on the same computer under a seperate partition and have not had any problems reported there.
Any advice on solving this would be much appreciated.
Best regards
Andrew

Diodorus Siculus 07:59 03 Mar 2004
  Diodorus Siculus 08:03 03 Mar 2004

click here for another option.
Suggests you empty temp files, do a defrag etc.

AndyJ 08:09 03 Mar 2004

Could be several things. The simplest to check are that the cables from the motherboard to drive and from power supply to drive are OK.

Overheating can also cause the prob, so check your fan. Your memory needs to be checked to make sure it's OK too.

Otherwise, it could be you motherboard itself, the HD controller of the CPU

Incidentally if you want to replace the cables, I understand that you can now get the rounded type which help in cooling a lot too, by allowing better circulation.

drew645 15:36 03 Mar 2004

Thanks to all for advice.
I failed to mention (as i thought it irrelevant)
that a few days ago I installed a new dvd-rewriter drive. Someone suggested to me it could be a hardware conflict. I had set the jumpers to slave as that was how it was set for the cd rom drive I removed.
I have now changed the jumper to CS and that seems to have fixed the problem.
Or I am kidding myself? It seems odd that a drive not in use could give me write errors.
Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Thanks again
Andrew

AndyJ 18:25 03 Mar 2004

Nothing's irrelevant in the PC fixing game, particularly if faults occur after you've just "done" something :-))

You'll be pleased to know, incorrect jumper settings can cause your prob. I didn't mention it before (honest) as you never mentioned the change of hardware !

Never mind, all solved now.

Incidentally, is the DVD on the same cable as the HD or a seperate one? Nothing to worry about, just wondering.

drew645 04:27 04 Mar 2004

Well its all gone crazy now.
I apologise for delay in responding but I have now suffered several crashes. I've tried everything including reloading the os and removing the new drive. I can get it up and running briefly (as now!) but it soon goes again.
The new drive is on the same ribbon and is a slave to the hard drive.
I'm beat, so I'll take it round the shop today and let them have a go. Maybe I damaged something when I originally installed the dvd writer. I have re-installed the dvd writer as removing it didnt help.
Thanks to all for help. If the shop fixes it I'll post where I went wrong.
I have never been so p@@!!*d off!!
Regards
Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?