Disk Imaging advice please.

bgrave 11:48 21 Aug 2009

Some time after October 22nd I intend to go down the disk imaging route Norton Ghost or Acronis for back ups, should have done it years ago, a couple of questions.

1.I will be using an external USB2 drive for imaging only and is there anything to gain from buying a boxed USB2 external drive or my choice; buying a decent spec. 1TB SATA drive and fitting it in a USB2 disk enclosure.

2.The HD in the desk top PC (1TB SATA) will be partitioned; I like to have all my Windows on C and my applications on another partition and my various types of data and projects on seperate partitions.

What I would like to know is should I partition my external drive in the same manner as the one on the PC.

john bunyan 11:58 21 Aug 2009

Have a look at this:
click here
If you could afford it the belt and braces would be to have two USB HD's the same size as yout internal, then do a series of images (one for each partition) on one, and a clone on the other.(Acronis True Image) I had a problem with an image (I think because I had not validated it) and was glad of the clone - Which, if you wish, automaticaaly copies the partitions of your internal drive. My routine is to run anti virus and SAS and Malawarebytes, then defrag then run the clone and the images. I find that the drive for images needs frequent defragging if you delete , say the image(s) before last.

Pineman100 16:24 21 Aug 2009

It's not essential to partition your backup drive. I can't speak for Ghost, but Acronis True Image will offer you the option of imaging both partitions of your internal hard drive and will store these images on one partition.

bgrave 00:28 23 Aug 2009

Thanks for all your input I will give it a try late October.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?