DISK IMAGE OR DISK COPY?

Snrub 13:48 04 Feb 2010

I am replacing my failing hard drive with a new one and need to copy the full old disk to the new one.
Would would be best Disk Image or Disk Copy?
Thinking of Acronis or Paragon, which is easiest?
How do I then instruct computer to boot up from new hard drive?

john bunyan 14:01 04 Feb 2010

See here: In your case a clone may be the best option. Acronis True Image 2010 a good choice. To get the PC to boot you can create a disc for an ATI image or use the ATI CD for the clone - may be easier to do this via an external HD or mounting the new drive in a caddy temporarily.

john bunyan 14:01 04 Feb 2010

See here: In your case a clone may be the best option. Acronis True Image 2010 a good choice. To get the PC to boot you can create a disc for an ATI image or use the ATI CD for the clone - may be easier to do this via an external HD or mounting the new drive in a caddy temporarily.
click here
Sorry - forgot link.

hastelloy 14:07 04 Feb 2010

You could use either a clone or a disc image, a copy wouldn't work. I agree with john bunyan that a clone is your best bet, using Acronis.

Technotiger 14:29 04 Feb 2010

Yes, most definitely Cloning with Acronis is the way to go - very easy and painless!

Technotiger 14:32 04 Feb 2010

You don't, you simply put the new Cloned Hard drive in place of the old drive and boot up as normal - you will not notice anything different, except the capacity of the drive in My Computer - normally one upgrades to a larger Capacity drive!

canarieslover 15:34 04 Feb 2010

Save yourself some money and try Easeus ToDo back up software. The home edition is free and I have used the clone facility to enable me to change the hard drive in my computer. click here It also offers back up and restore facilities which I have not yet got round to trying.

Snrub 00:30 05 Feb 2010

Thanks to all replies however I am still confused. The following is what I have read which contradicts to some of the above replies.
Drive Copy gives a true clone where Boot settings and file systems are kept intact, which is a true replacement for the source disc and hence is the better option for setting up a new drive.
Disc Image (Acronis) is not a true clone but a compressed disc image.

Snrub 00:37 05 Feb 2010

The other issue I have with Acronis is that I don't find it user friendly and find it difficult to understand I have version 8.
I have Paragon Drive Copy 8 which I havn't tried yet.

Technotiger 08:33 05 Feb 2010

You are getting confused aren't you - Acronis True Image could not be easier. You open the Program and then choose the Clone option (not Disc image), you then just follow on screen prompts without making any changes at all, just choose all the default settings, do NOT set password (just another thing to go wrong if you forget the password, which is simply not needed). During this sequence you just need to state the Drive letter of the new drive, so Acronis knows where to put the Clone.

Before running the Program make sure that your new/larger drive is set up and ready, connected, formatted and switched on.

When the Clone is completed (usually takes about half-an-hour), you then simply switch the computer off completely, remove the old drive and put the new drive in its place. You then switch the computer on and boot up as normal. The old drive can then be disposed of.

Job done!

Snrub 11:21 05 Feb 2010

Thanks Technotiger that does sound simple enough and will give it a go.
I am still trying to source a suitable hard drive on e-bay, the one I am trying to replace is a Maxtor 6Y120PO Ultra-ATA/133 IDE 2002 vintage or a larger one.
Don't know if I should risk a used one or go for a new one?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache