Disk hogging file

achilles123 12:03 11 Dec 2003

I've just found a file "Pagefils.csp", over 500Mb in root on my C: drive. Any suggestions as to where it came from? System is w98(2), and recent large file operations included Microsoft backup, Roxio drag to disk, Roxio CD creator, Willow Creek Backup to CDRW, and Windows & Internet washer pro from eWasher. Do you think the file can be dumped? (It has to go completely as it's too big for recycle bin)

Lozzy 12:17 11 Dec 2003

Suggest you leave the pagefile well alone.

Lozzy 12:19 11 Dec 2003

In storage, a pagefile is a reserved portion of a hard disk that is used as an extension of random access memory (RAM) for data in RAM that hasn't been used recently. A pagefile can be read from the hard disk as one contiguous chunk of data and thus faster than re-reading data from many different original locations. Windows NT administrators or users can reset the system-provided default size value of the pagefile to meet their particular needs.

Jester2K II 12:21 11 Dec 2003

Pagefils.csp is not a page file.

Under Win98 its called WIN386.SWP and under NT / 2K / XP its called PAGEFILE.SYS

Pagefils.csp - can't find much on it but i would leave it for now.

Can you confirm the spelling...?

Jester2K II 12:22 11 Dec 2003

Does it disappear if you reboot?

Lozzy 12:26 11 Dec 2003

appologies if I have misslead I thought achilles123 had just miss typed.. I stand corrected it could be to do with Java have a look by click here

achilles123 16:11 13 Dec 2003

I've repeated what I was doing at the time, and it seems that it's a temporary file used by my CDRW burner. Maybe it uses some java??. Normally it is deleted after the burn completes, but this time I had to abort when attempting to burn about 450 meg and the pc ground to a halt with no disc space left on C:

achilles123 13:01 18 Feb 2006

the file pagefils.csp is created by "Windows and internet washer" when the wipe pagefile option is selected. It is a dummy file that is swapped with the pagefile at next boot. Once windows is running it can be discarded

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?