disk fragmentation

robert-204830 00:01 16 Mar 2004

I am having a discussion at the moment about disk fragmentaion. I have been advised that even though you have a big enough free area on your hard disk. the computer will fragment your file to fill up the smaller free spaces first. I find this hard to believe. could someone confirm or disprove this for me. thank you

Giggle n' Bits 00:23 16 Mar 2004

these clusters are small segments on the HDD, The Defrag process when runs starts at cluster 1 the beginning of the HDD and goes through to the end.

As it does this it knows which clusters on the HDD goes where. there are clusters that will not be moved, some are moved to the end of the HDD especially damaged clusters. I think I am using the word Cluster to frequent but thats what in IT terms I was taught.

Its a no really to your question as the HDD has the clusters put where they belong, yes they get shuffled about but only to optimise the drive.

Giggle n' Bits 00:25 16 Mar 2004

But be warned theres a few Pop-ups about it:-
click here

temp003 04:46 16 Mar 2004

Not sure but I think that's correct, at least in file systems used by Windows. click here New files are written to first available free space according to the article.

But I remember reading about a certain file system used by Mac computers. When a file needs to be written, the largest single block of free space big enough for the new file is chosen. If no such block exists, then the largest block available is used. Sounds like a better file system if true!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017