Disk Error

Scubaman 15:43 13 Sep 2010

Hi guys, I have got a returning problem whereby I get the message Disk error, press any key. Well this does not work anymore. I boot using the XP CD, and have tried FIXBOOT and FIXMBR both times it says the BOOT and MBR have been replaced. Try to boot but same again. I have put the HDD in another computer and F8 gets me the Windows Advanced Options Menu, but none of those work. If I let it boot I get the screen 'We apologise for the inconvenience' etc. I try all the options there but nothing, the screen scrolls through to a line - 'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)Windows\system32\DRIVERS\agp440sys' for all Safe Mode options. For start normally and last known good configuration progress bar runs across screen and freezes. I tried the hard drive drive from another computer running XP but got the message Disk Error, yet it works fine in its original computer. Any ideas?

Pineman100 15:49 13 Sep 2010

Have you tried booting from the XP disk and running a repair installation?

Pineman100 15:51 13 Sep 2010

By the way, don't use the Recovery Console. See full instructions a bit of a scroll down this page:

click here

woodchip 17:17 13 Sep 2010

You need to run Disc Checker as it obviously got Disc Corruption

rawprawn 17:22 13 Sep 2010

If you can boot try running chkdsk /f from the cmd prompt. It is just worth doing before doing a repair install before the repair installation

Scubaman 17:35 13 Sep 2010

Thanks Pineman, I entered the commands you suggested, it wouldn't let me install the i386 commands but it has started up ok. Do I need to replace anything before it happens again?

woodchip 18:56 13 Sep 2010

Its no good doing any repairs if the Disc as got damaged clusters, these must be first marked out with disc checker

Scubaman 19:15 13 Sep 2010

Would that be CHKDSK Woodchip? If so, I ran it and came up with Volume appears in good condition and was not checked. I then ran CHKDSK /p and it came back with Found one or more errors on the volume, but mentioned nothing about a fix!

woodchip 19:18 13 Sep 2010

yes

woodchip 19:28 13 Sep 2010

If you can get it to Start in Safe Mode tapping F5 at start up, run the above checker from double click my computer right click C:\Properties\Tools then set checker to auto fix problems it finds

DieSse 19:48 13 Sep 2010

CHKDSK /F

is the command to run - this should fix any errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?