Disk drive not working

Si_L 12:58 02 Aug 2009

Having just had the sound sorted on my laptop thanks to Fruit Bat, I noticed in the device manager that the disk drive had an exclaimation mark over it. I tried putting a DVD in it, and it didn't pick it up.

I haven't tampered with it in any way, so I'm sure its a software/driver issue. In the device manager I have tried to rollback drivers, with no success, and also uninstalled and then went down the Add New Hardware route, it picked it up and installed drivers but again, the exclaimation mark is still there.

The laptop is on XP, and the drive is called a mat*!@:a uj-850d. I tried googling for drivers but didn't have any luck.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

MrNewName 13:18 02 Aug 2009

Will the drive accept CDs?

Have you tried a different DVD?

Try uninstalling it and rebooting; don't allow it to install any new drivers as Windows should have the necessary drivers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:36 02 Aug 2009

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

Si_L 14:18 02 Aug 2009

I uninstalled it and rebooted, it found the device and did the drivers for it, but it is as before, not working with a yellow ! by the device.

Fruit bat I'll try that now and come back

Si_L 14:31 02 Aug 2009

"try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again"

How do I do this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?