Disk drive malfunctions?

daveac41 08:27 24 Aug 2005

I have a CD Burner and a DVD Burner. Suddenly, both appear not to be working. They give message - "please insert disk" when disk already in. I've tried re-booting, but there is no difference. I've tried Isobuster - that says no disks in.
Any ideas, please!
I'm running W XP S2

Diodorus Siculus 09:26 24 Aug 2005

Have you looked in the device manager?

Do you know if both are on the same IDE channel? (easiest to tell by opening case and looking.) If so, it could have failed?

daveac41 10:20 24 Aug 2005

Tks, Diadorus - I tried Device Manager it says both drivers are working properly.
I'll open the box up if all else fails

Strawballs 11:37 24 Aug 2005

It does sound strange that both drives should fail at the same time. I too would check the ribbon IDE cable make shure that it is seated properly on the MOBO when it was first plugged in uit might have been not quite in properly and has come loose

daveac41 16:17 24 Aug 2005

Thanks Strawb - will try that tonight

DieSse 22:22 24 Aug 2005

It's also possible that one of them has a problem which is also affecting the other one - so if the cable seems OK, try each of them on their own.

daveac41 15:09 26 Aug 2005

Thanks for help so far , but- before I go into the inside of the PC:-

I go through the motions of copying files from my Hard drive to either of my DVD or CD burners. All the steps are described on screen during burning. The disk is burned - you can even see the section that's been burned - but Windows Explorer shows no details of burned disk, and IsoBuster shows nothing.
What is happening????

daveac41 15:09 26 Aug 2005

Thanks for help so far , but- before I go into the inside of the PC:-

I go through the motions of copying files from my Hard drive to either of my DVD or CD burners. All the steps are described on screen during burning. The disk is burned - you can even see the section that's been burned - but Windows Explorer shows no details of burned disk, and IsoBuster shows nothing.
What is happening????

aceofbass 15:31 26 Aug 2005

Have ypu recently installed drivers for a USB pen drive (or other recent hardware)? I had a similar problem and found that uninstalling the drive software cured the bug.

daveac41 15:42 26 Aug 2005

No sorry, I haven't installed any drivers for a long time......

daveac41 15:42 26 Aug 2005

No sorry, I haven't installed any drivers for a long time......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017