DISK CONSISTENCY MESSAGE ON START UP

jezzabevan 17:52 28 May 2008

Every time I put my Windows XP system I gewt a message saying that my C: drive needs to be checked for consistency, once checked doesn't seem to report any problems. I have run various troubleshooting programs with no effect, still happens every time. When running doesn't seem anything wrong but I am worried that I have a disk failure waiting to happen. Can anyone advise what I should do? Thanks

brundle 18:10 28 May 2008

Check the `dirty` bit is not set;

click here

Run manufacturer's diagnostics on it; click here

woodchip 18:56 28 May 2008

Sounds like this is a S.M.A.R.T drive software warning message for the drive

jezzabevan 19:51 28 May 2008

thanks for your responses. Followed first thread link and the 'dirty' bit was set on the drive - removed it and did full chkdsk scan on re boot and all fine, rebooted again and the scan did not run - Result, or so I thought. Then downloaded Seatest diagnostic tool and ran Short test - passed. Then ran SMART test which failed - on research this sounds like a warning of near disk failure! But has only showed up during this test not as a drive error any other way - also both my hard dives failed this - can they really both be about to fail?? How much do I need to worry about this Smart fail result? BTW can you recommend good Backup software - just in case the worst doeas happen!

brundle 21:34 28 May 2008

You might need to disconnect un-necessary hardware and run the checks several times, try with only one drive attached too.
When you say SMART test , is that different to full or long test? Run the long test. SMART diagnostics are a good idea but I wouldn't rely on them alone.

Acronis is best for backups according to general concensus on the forum. click here

jezzabevan 22:00 28 May 2008

Thanks, Brundle, for the input. Will try the long test tonight and report back tomorrow.

jezzabevan 22:36 29 May 2008

Well I ran the Long Test and result was PASSED - so I have decided that I can rest easy now. Have downloaded and installed Acronis which seems just the ticket at the moment - thanks for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone