disk cleanup not cleaning up

hugh-265156 08:42 10 Feb 2003

i have xp and when i run disk cleanup it says i have 17k or so of compress old files that can safely be deleted.but for some reason does not clean them up and they are still showing up if i run it again afterwards.any ideas?thanks.

€dstow 08:50 10 Feb 2003

17k is not going to rob you of much disk space so, if everything else is OK, I would leave it alone.

Much damage can be done by unnecessary twiddling.

€d

hugh-265156 08:54 10 Feb 2003

i like to keep things tidy and usually run cleanup,defrag and chkdisk once a week.it has always worked before.thanks anyway.

hugh-265156 17:48 10 Feb 2003

dont want to close yet still not fixed!

microswift 18:01 10 Feb 2003

I've had exactly the same problem with over 1MB of compressed old files not being removed, any suggestion as to why would be appreciated.

€dstow 18:11 10 Feb 2003

Can't you find what the files are and delete by hand?

microswift 19:13 10 Feb 2003

About 70% of my 80GB hard disk is empty space, so the problem of removing redundant files is not a pressing one, I suppose they could be removed by hand but I'd really like to get cleanup working again.

hugh-265156 23:14 10 Feb 2003

sorry not replied sooner.i still have this problem.have tried to get info but no joy.i have 17k or so of"compress old files"that wont go away.i know its not a lot.but am fussy.i like to keep my disk in top form.when i click on "view files"i get no listings?so what is the files in "compress old files"?could it be anything to do with windows update?about two days ago i installed the latest security updates from microsoft.i had windows update set to inform before download and inform again before install.i got a pop up to install new updates clicked install and nothing happened.so i went to windows up date manually and installed.however i now am getting pop ups that windows update has new updates.i have already installed these updates.is that my 17k and if so where do i find it and get rid?cheers for the replies folks!

hugh-265156 16:08 11 Feb 2003

posted this again as still have problem.will tick this one as resolved.

Ali M 16:34 11 Feb 2003

As far as i'm aware all "compress old files" does is archive#s any files that havent been used for ages. If they've been archived they normally look blue in explorer and take up slightly less space on your hard drive. I believe that disk cleanup only gives you an estimation on the amount of disk space you will save and i wouldn't worry about 17K!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?