Disk Cleanup

prince midas 12:23 02 Dec 2004

Did a diskcleanup & it told me that I had 6 Gig of temp material even though I only have a total of 8 Gig of programs on my computor & I do a normal temp check on my computor regularly.

After removing these temp files I found that everything still worked okay apart from Norton Antivrus which loaded & told me that it was not compatible with diskcleanup & that I would have to reinstall Norton Antivirus. Surely a microsoft program such as Disk Cleanup you would expect to be compatible with Norton Products.

After reinstalling the Norton Antivirus now works & the 6 Gig of temp files is back in Diskcleanup but I cannot find above a few temp files in explorer. Where is the 6 gig.

Completealias 13:01 02 Dec 2004

Could be nortons file protection feature, I take it your using norton protected recycle bin which keeps hold of files that you delete in a hidden folder (think is c:\recycler).

Open norton click on the options I think and find the settings for norton protected recycle bin, click the purge norton protected files on c: (where c: is your drive letter) c if that gives you back your missing gigs.

I had a simalar problem with norton and it took me a reformat and a major headace to find my missings gigs. Now I don't use nortons protection on my recycle bin.

prince midas 13:15 02 Dec 2004

I have already purged Norton Recycle Bin.

The 6Gig of temps are not on my system.Makes me think Norton is making a mistake in this instance & that is why it is not compatible with DiskCleanup.

I am going to send a message to Norton Help & see if they throw any light on this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?