Disk Clean up & Compressing drive to save space

gazmix 13:23 01 Feb 2007

Hi
I haven't ever used Disk Clean up.
I clicked on it & it started calculating & came up with a load of different things, some with green ticks, some with not! & huge numbers, some like 'recycle bin' with a 0kb next to it.Offline webpages with 310.000kb next to it etc etc
I haven't a clue what to clean up!
I always go to internet options & clear temp internet files, yet this says i've 1've 332kb!

Also, when i go to local disk properties & i get the pie chart!, at the bottom there is a box saying 'compress drive to save disk space'
Will this give me more space, will i lose anything?, what changes will i notice. I started it & then stopped it, but i noticed that my free space had risen until i dechecked the box!
Help please!
Gaz

skidzy 13:51 01 Feb 2007

Run ccleaner first gaz click here

gazmix 14:40 01 Feb 2007

Skidzy
I downloaded latest CCleaner & clicked on 'Run', it says are you sure as it will permanently delet files from my pc.
All the boxes have green ticks in them! Should i untick any!

How do i get rid of the Yahoo toolbar, i don't want it there?

Gaz

mahalo 14:42 01 Feb 2007

Look in the add and remove programs, it should be there. Cheers

mahalo 14:43 01 Feb 2007

Yahoo toolbar that is

andrew-196854 14:47 01 Feb 2007

you should click analyze first then go ahead and delete the files dont untick or tick any of the boxes leave them as they are .

gazmix 14:48 01 Feb 2007

Cheers mahalo, done that!

Will running CCleaner & clearing all it finds remove any important stuff on my pc i have like documents, music etc!

Should i just leave all the default boxes green ticked, run it & remove all the crap.
Cheers
Gaz

andrew-196854 14:52 01 Feb 2007

no it wont , ps always remember to backup your music docs anything of importance to disc? sorry if you already know this

skidzy 15:00 01 Feb 2007

When running ccleaner for the first time,create a restore point first.Leave ccleaner at its default settings.

gazmix 15:16 01 Feb 2007

Ok, i ran CCleaner & it got rid of quite a bit of stuff. I'll run it periodicaly.

What about the "compress drive top save disk space"
in Local disk (c) properties.
What does this do!

Should i tick the box & allow it, will i lose anything?
!
Also the Disk Clean up! I don't know what to clean, or has CCleaner done sufficient!
Cheers
Gaz

skidzy 15:18 01 Feb 2007

Now check your disk cleanup,it should be cleaned.Yes you can compress safely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone