Disk boot failure

jagx400 20:03 13 Jan 2007

A young friend of mine decided to fit a dvd rewriter to his PC, Not knowing what he was doing he just connected things up any way they would fit.

When I got there I found the floppy drive cable was connected to the floppy and the hard drive, so only half the pins on the hard drive were connected, the other end was connected to the floppy controller on the motherboard.

He told me he had tried connecting every which way he could think of. I connected things as they should be but the PC will not start and comes up with disk boot failure, When I went into the BIOS, to look at what was connected, it showed that it could not detect the hard drive, the cd drive or the dvd drive, its as though they are not connected,

I an not a computer novice, but this has me thinking he may have damaged the mother board by connecting up any way he could find.

Any ideas please would be appreciated.

terryf 20:08 13 Jan 2007

Disconnect the cd and dvd and see if the bios detects the hard drive, make sure that he didn't mess about with the hard drive cable and connection, check, check and then check again. He may also have gone into the bios but maybe won't admit it so check that the bios is set to auto detect the hard drive

jagx400 20:17 13 Jan 2007

Already tried those suggestions terryf as for him playing in the BIOS i checked in there and everything seems in order

woodchip 20:20 13 Jan 2007

I would say he as blown the Hard Drive and CD drive by not fitting the cables as they should be

terryf 20:21 13 Jan 2007

Sounds as if he maybe has an expensive doorstop, expensive learning curve but don't necessarily take my sole word for it, some-one else may have ideas meanwhile click here or click here

surfmonkey #:@}© 20:21 13 Jan 2007

have you tryed bios reset just in case thing got mess up there

woodchip 20:23 13 Jan 2007

You should check any jumpers on the drives if more than one is connected to a IDE cable. The Hard Drive should be on the End Plug red wire to power plug jumper set to master CD or DVD on middle set to Slave

jagx400 20:27 13 Jan 2007

Allconnected properly jumpers set correctly, I have reset the BIOS, beginning to look like the doorstop solution is best.

Diemmess 20:30 13 Jan 2007

If you have done all those things already suggested, how about -

If you have an external HD (powered case), remove his HD and pop it into your case then look at it in your computer.

Or, if you like your friend enough, try his HD as slave in your computer.

Once connected it show its contents in My Computer and the HD can be assumed functional.

jagx400 20:40 13 Jan 2007

Diemmess I might give that a go before I condemn it totally

Diemmess 09:23 14 Jan 2007

Best of luck. If the HD is still valid it suggests deeper mischief say on the motherboard!

Not a happy thought, but you have to check all possibilities!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?