disk boot failure

Taw 16:38 29 Nov 2003

my sons comp is showing "disk boot failure insert system disk" when starting. Is this the cd? Win xp pro

either it has a disk in the floppy drive or the c drive has failed

DieSse 16:44 29 Nov 2003

This is not a normal message - something has gone wrong.

If you do put in the CD to boot from, you will necessarily be into a repair of the Windows installation.

Can you give a bt more info please.

Was it working, or is this a new system - bought or home built?

Is there an up to date Anti-Virus program in the system - ie he may have a virus.

There are also many other possibilities - the hard disk could have failed, for instance.

Taw 17:02 29 Nov 2003

thanks for that diesse. I bought some new ram and put it in and on switching it on it gave the above message. I took out the new ram and tried it as it was but no luck. The AV was all up to date. I have an old hd i was going to try but i think it was set as a slave and im not sure how to set the little pins?

Taw 17:03 29 Nov 2003

by the way I did try the cd it got so far and then told me there was a problem recheck new hardware. on watching some of the loading material it looked as if it may not be seeing the HD

Taw 17:21 29 Nov 2003

not ver professional but I fiddled with some of the wires in the comp and it seems to have started but I think I have an HD failure

Monco 17:32 29 Nov 2003

I also get'boot failure - insert cd' at times, but by pushing the reset button, the system then boots OK. I am on XP Home. Could this be a sign of impending trouble? I have used the recovery CD in the past, and provided you exit after the necessary drivers have loaded, there seems no need for repair.
Monco

Taw 19:22 29 Nov 2003

monco I think it may be the result of an impending HD failure I would suggestif you havent done you should back up your important files onto removable media

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?