Disk Analysis

rufus-speed 14:41 30 Apr 2003

Is there a utility can analyse the hard disk and inform you what file takes up what cluster and/or what file takes up what sectors?

MartinT-B 14:45 30 Apr 2003

What OS do you need it for?

Rhuddlan 14:55 30 Apr 2003

If you have XP then the disk defragmenter analyse's the disk first and then defrage's it, the different colours in the defragmenter represents different kind of folders that the tool has moved or untouched, some files and folders cannot be moved, but some can to free up space as well as keeping system speed and perfomance up to date and at the right level, I had Norton Systemworks back in 2001 and this had various tools that scanned your system and hard drives for errors and freed up space, this is a good piece of software for what your lookibng for, of course now the 2033 version is out, hope this helps.

Rhuddlan 14:56 30 Apr 2003

Sorry I meant the 2003 version, was trying to touch type.

rufus-speed 19:40 30 Apr 2003

Thank you, but a utility where I can enter a cluster number or sector number and it tells me what file occupies this area.

rufus-speed 19:40 30 Apr 2003

Thank you, but I need a utility where I can enter a cluster number or sector number and it tells me what file occupies this area.

DieSse 22:16 30 Apr 2003

Just out of interest, what are you trying to acheive - maybe there's a simpler method to do whatever you want.

rufus-speed 16:56 01 May 2003

Thanks for reply. I want to be able to enter a cluster number and find out what file occupies that space. Surely there is a utility out there that can do that.

eg. Cluster 1116232
File test.txt

rather than :-
File test.txt
Clusters 1116229-1116237

DieSse 22:08 01 May 2003

Understand what you've asked for, and sorry I don't know anything that does it - but out of interest, why do you want to know?

Bear in mind that all modern drives do address translation inside the drive - so whilst there should be a cluster number file relationship, the Head number/track number/sector number inside the drive will be very different to that sent to it by the software/controller - and this relationship will vary with drive manufacturer and model.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone