Discrete XP HD environment

novis 23:41 12 Oct 2009

I have Windows Vista installed on my Toshiba laptop - however some of my hardware that runs on XP does not run on Vista.

Could I instal XP on an external hard drive and run it as a separate environment from which to run this hardware [scanner; voice recorder]

What might the problems be? Any advice would be appreciated.

Stuartli 23:44 12 Oct 2009

Have you tried Compatibility Mode in Vista for XP?

novis 00:06 13 Oct 2009

No - where do I find it & what is it?

novis 10:22 13 Oct 2009

Found it - tried it - message tells me the software is installed correctly - however, when I try to scan I get a message telling me 'no hardware found' - as well as the fact that the scanner light indicating that the scanner is connected to the software doesn't indicate that it is.

... what now?

DieSse 11:17 13 Oct 2009

Scanner name/model please.

To be honest - scanners are not expensive normally (unless it's a special type), and IMO you'd be better of getting a supported scanner.

If you have to buy XP - a scanner would likely be cheaper. If you already have XP on another system - it may be simpler to scan on that and transfer the images by memory stick.

novis 13:36 13 Oct 2009

Sound advice on which I reflect every time I have to take out an old slow laptop in order to scan. The scanner is a Visioneer Onetouch 7100 USB - I've tried downloading software from their website - and even bought an up-dated software.

No luck.

The scanner isn't the only hardware that doesn't work, which is why I am contemplating a dramatic alternative like running my copy of XP on an external HD - if that's feasible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?