Discrepancy viewing photo in Crel 10 vs printed ap

iont 17:27 31 Aug 2006

I have Win XP pro with a Philips 170B4 LCD monitor.

All the photographs on my SD cards that I view in either ACDSee or Windows Explorer appear substantially the same as when printed (Epson Stylus Scan 2500)

However in Corel PaintShop 10 they invariably appear too dark,if I alter brightness/contrast to an acceptable appearance they print too light. I have tried calibrating the monitor in Crel,but have been unable to get an acceptable screen/printed compromise.I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem.Is there any possibility a card reader could be responsible?I recently up graded to a multi card reader to facilitate viewing cards other than my own SD type

I.M.Tasker

1 Penlee

Budleigh Salterton

DEVON EX9 6BP

DieSse 18:03 31 Aug 2006

*Is there any possibility a card reader could be responsible?*

None whatsoever - a data file is a data file, and pictures are just data files like any others. It can't be different using a different reader.

As for what's wrong, someone else will need to answer you, as I don't use Corel. But it'll be some calibration type setup, no doubt.

Diemmess 18:12 31 Aug 2006

Your problems in reverse order...
I don't think this difficulty has anything to do with the card reader, which merely is a transfer gizmo to take data from one place and put it in another. It would be a serious fault if it modified the data on the way!

How does a picture look in the basic Windows Paint? If you have sample pics anywhere how do they look?

I use Corel Photopaint 12 not Corel Paintshop, even so there will be something in tools where you can calibrate the monitor.
Normally the default is good enough and if you find the place, that is what I would go for to begin with.

Gongoozler 18:23 31 Aug 2006

"If I alter brightness/contrast to an acceptable appearance they print too light"

I find that most often adjusting gamma has a more desirable effect than brightness and contrast. Initially experiment with a gamma value between 1 and 1.5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?