Disconnection from Internet

dawnal 18:22 20 Feb 2006

I have a HP Pavillion PC running Windows XP (home) I am connected to the Internet with TalkTalk Broadband.

I often get cut off, for no apparent reason, and I get this message: "Error 619. No connection to the Internet could be found so the port used for this connection was closed," or something very similar. When this happens I am unable to reconnect until I have restarted the computer.

I have looked, as the message suggests, in the Help and Support centre, but this has given me no help at all.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks
Alan

surfmonkeyreal 18:32 20 Feb 2006

This can be resolved by following these steps:

Restart your computer and wait until all applications have completely loaded before trying to reconnect.

Check your modem and phone cables are connected securely.

If your problem has still not been resolved uninstall and reinstall your Broadband modem. For information on how to do this click on your modem

surfmonkeyreal 18:33 20 Feb 2006

disregard this bit For information on how to do this click on your modem

Pidder 18:34 20 Feb 2006

Probably no similarity but I have just been reconnected after being without BB for a week, due, so BT tell me, to a spurious signal from a nearby TV Digibox which also cut off several other PCs in the neighbourhood. I was getting a report of "no dialtone". Has anyone had a similar experience?

dawnal 18:37 20 Feb 2006

Thanks surfmonkeyreal, for your reply. I'll try reinstalling the modem. I hadn't thought of doing that.

dawnal 18:41 20 Feb 2006

I occasionally get a no dialling tone message. I am usually able to reconnect almost immediately. I have no idea why it happens. Unfortunately, however, most of the time I get the port closed message.

Freddog™ 18:50 20 Feb 2006

Is it Dial-Up or Broadband? I know there are issues with Dial-Up.

Freddog™ 18:51 20 Feb 2006

Sorry read it again and found out.

bruno 21:08 20 Feb 2006

I had a fault on my box outside the house which gave me problems.Replacing it cured the problems.Got a BT engineer in to prove point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?