Disc is Unmounted

Dr. Charles(retired now) 19:35 26 Aug 2006

I am running XP pro with SP2

I just did a backup onto a spare HD(within my computer case) backing up my C drive using Ghost 10.

When I look at the spare drive now in the defrag utility it says Disc is Unmounted - - -I have always run this disc as F:

Going back into ghost it shows it as *.\ which doesn`t make any sense to me , but it did do a full backup to this drive 2 days ago.

Please has anyone got an idea how I get this to display HD disc F: again ie get the thing remounted- -not much help on the web for this
Regards
Charles :)

FelixTCat 19:57 26 Aug 2006

Charles,

Did you produce a Ghost file (.gho)on the spare hard drive or did you use Ghost to make a clone of your C: drive?

Regards,

Felix

Dr. Charles(retired now) 20:15 26 Aug 2006

I made Ghost make a copy of my C drive onto the spare drive(used to be F:

I did NOT create a Ghost file

woodchip 23:47 26 Aug 2006

Ghost as Backed up the Partition Info and changed the Drive Partition Info that it as Backed up to. It looks to me like it as cloned the drive. So if you set it as master and remove the other disc it may boot from the one you backd up to

Dr. Charles(retired now) 09:43 27 Aug 2006

I`m not having probs with starting up or anything I just want to get the identity of the disc back -- - -will try this woodchip- --thanks
Best
Charles

FelixTCat 10:25 27 Aug 2006

Charles,

As woodchip says, what you now have is 2 copies of your C: drive - the original and the ghosted clone. Your F: drive no longer exists as such.

You could go into Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management and go to Disk1. Right-click on the area just to the right of the Disk1 box and click Change Drive Letter and Paths and change the drive letter to F:

In future, if you want to make an image of a hard disk or partition with Ghost, you might consider storing the Ghost image on another drive rather than cloning the drive completely. Note that in cloning the drive you will lose all the data previously on the drive.

Regards,

Felix

Dr. Charles(retired now) 11:48 29 Aug 2006

Hi Felix,
Thanks for your input I have got things back to Normal. When I clone the drive I do risk things as it deletes the previous data.
Best
Charles :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?